Valerian (Valeriana Officinalis). Been flowering for the past few weeks and the familiar fragrance has been wafting around the garden.
I was a windscreen tourist today. On the morning commute I was struck by the clouds as I drove the winding road of the Graig mountain, above Aberdare. The clouds seem to be stratified in parts with a layer of grey and a layer of lighter blue peaking through.
I was cocooned within concrete again for most of the day, barely noticing nature. It was, as I’ve mentioned previously, merely ‘wallpaper‘ for me. Something to be viewed through the screen of my office windows, in the distance, abstracted.
I feel at ease noting the absence of contact with nature and noticing the feelings and thoughts that arise. As I try to establish a practice to support this nature diary, I am reminded of the advice of Natalie Goldberg in one of her books – perhaps it was ‘Writing Down the Bones’ (1986). She advises noting meditation… when you practice, when you sit, what arises AND also when you DO NOT practice or sit. I think what I’m trying to explore here in this Nature Diary is my relationship with nature and with practice.
That’s enough. Tempus fugit.
Noticing and appreciating the natural world, a written mindfulness practice.
- A man and his pet snail walk into a bar 11th July 2019
- Cinnabar Moth, an ex-Moth 10th July 2019
- Smells of Summer #3 (Lavender, Broad Bean) 10th July 2019
- Smells of Summer #2 (Valerian) 4th July 2019
- Smells of Summer #1 (Elderflower, Blackcurrant) 3rd July 2019
- Comma butterfly 3rd July 2019
- Ringlet butterfly 3rd July 2019
- Aztrantia, Valerian, Geranium and Plums 16th June 2019
- Bombus, you are cleared to land 12th June 2019
- Bright and Cheerful Flower 6th June 2019
- RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch Survey 28th January 2019
- Paying attention to the birds in your garden 27th January 2019
- Tune into Nature on Lunch Break 25th January 2019
- From dark and gloomy to glowing 24th January 2019
- Snowy Warm Morning 23rd January 2019
- Pen y Fan in the Snow 22nd January 2019
- Great Tit and Wren 21st January 2019
- Swan Lake, Cwmdare 20th January 2019
- Crocus, snowdrop, lichen, catkins 19th January 2019
- Ice, rain, sleet, snow 18th January 2019
- Spring Song and Sunshine 17th January 2019
- Dark in the Park 16th January 2019
- Geese and Pigeons 15th January 2019
- Cocooned within Concrete 14th January 2019
- Place for Barking Dogs 13th January 2019
- Brrr…. Wind 12th January 2019
- Birds of a Feather 11th January 2019
- Molehills and Mountains 10th January 2019
- Birdsong 9th January 2019
- Thought Suppression in Rhondda 8th January 2019
- Kingfishers Catch Fire 7th January 2019
- Nature as Wallpaper 6th January 2019
- Birds and the Bees 5th January 2019
- Heading Home Again 4th January 2019
- Apple singing ‘I will survive’ 3rd January 2019
- Frosty Morning 2nd January 2019
- Happy New Year at Aberdare Park 1st January 2019